- Enchant Weapon – Black Magic: This enchantment now sometimes increases haste rating for the caster rather than inflicting the caster’s target with a damage-over-time effect. It is also now triggered by landing any harmful spell rather than inflicting damage with a spell.
- Enchant Weapon – Unholy: This enchantment now inflicts Shadow damage in addition to its original effect.
From all the numbers I’ve seen, you won’t be suddenly dropping Spellpower for Black Magic if you’re a Moonkin.
- First Aid
- The training costs for most bandages have been reduced.
- The all-new Kalu’ak Fishing Derby, a test of fishing skill with a healthy dash of luck, has come to Northrend! Every Wednesday beginning at 8 PM players can try to catch the elusive Blacktip Shark. Elder Clearwater sits in Dalaran for one hour awaiting the return of the quickest, most experienced fisher to bring him this shark. This champion fisher will be rewarded in-kind for returning with the first catch. Those who aren’t able to return with the first catch will still receive just reward for getting the Blacktip Shark to Elder Clearwater before he takes his leave. It is said that these sharks’ favorite meal are the bite-sized Pygmy Suckerfish. Perhaps a hook in their waters will do the trick.
I absolutely love that there is a new fishing contest. I absolutely hate that it starts at raid time.
- Enchanted Thorium: This ability now uses the Mining skill and is learned from trainers at a skill level of 250.
- Weekly raid quests are now available from Archmage Lan’dalock in Dalaran. Every Tuesday at 3 AM the Council of Six will choose a different strategic target that must die from either: The Obsidian Sanctum, Naxxramas, The Eye of Eternity, Ulduar, Trial of the Crusader, or Icecrown Citadel.
Doing the daily raid rewards Emblems of Frost. In theory, you can get a full T10 set this way, but it would take months and months and months and months and…you get the idea. For raiders going for their T10 set in Icecrown, though; this is a nice boost.
- For the various Icecrown Bomber quests at Aldur’thar: The Desolation Gate, players can now choose to eject from their bomber seats mid-run. If you do so, a rescue vehicle will transport your character back to the safety of your infra-green platform.
- Azure Drakes and Dragons will now attack back when attacked by characters not riding Wyrmrest Defenders.
- Brittle Revenants, quest creatures fought for the Sons of Hodir daily quest “Hot and Cold,” no longer cast Shield Slam.
- The Achievements to get exalted with the Warsong Gulch, Arathi Basin, and Alterac Valley factions have been removed from their respective “Master of” Meta-Achievements. Special titles will be offered to those who reach exalted with these factions.
- “The Party’s Over” has been removed from Achievements and is no longer a part of the “Glory of the Hero” Meta-Achievement.
- “Master Angler of Stranglethorn” has been changed to “Master Angler of Azeroth” and can be achieved by winning either the Kalu’ak Fishing Derby or the Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza.
Yay! I never did manage to win the Stranglethorn fishing tournament. Mostly because once my husband won his interest in helping me declined leaps and bounds.
- Commendation Badges which award reputation with various Wrath of the Lich King factions can be purchased with Emblems of Triumph in Dalaran. Each badge costs 1 Emblem of Triumph.
Wow. I hadn’t caught wind of this yet. This is going to seriously decrease the amount of time you spend grinding rep. If you run ToC 10 once a week, you’ll be able to buy 15 commendation badges. My guess is that, like the ones that used to be rewarded from the regular daily, they’ll be worth 250 rep each (or 500 for Hodir). That would be 3750 rep a week in addition to wearing your tabard (or a whopping 7500 a week for Hodir in addition to the dailies).
- Gaining reputation with the Ashen Verdict in Icecrown Citadel will grant players access to upgradeable rings from Ormus the Penitent. Players can switch between the type of ring (melee/caster/tank/healer) at any point in the upgrade path for 200g.
Ah, yay! I always loved the rings I got from raids like Kara and Hyjal. Glad to see this make a comeback.
- The following reputations have been sped up by roughly 30%:
- Argent Crusade
- Alliance Vanguard
- Horde Expedition
- Kirin Tor
- Knights of the Ebon Blade
- Sons of Hodir
- Wyrmrest Accord
- Sons of Hodir quests now give more reputation overall.
While I think the grind is certainly worthwhile, as heavily as we have to rely on these factions for raiding, I can see why they’ve done this, especially on the last tier of content.
- Top-level helm and shoulder faction-related enchants are now available as Bind-on-Account items that do not require any faction to use once purchased (they still require the appropriate faction level to purchase).
I have mixed feelings about this. It will certainly make getting my alts their enchants easier, but also less rewarding. I’m surprised that they decided to implement this even after making the rep gains so much easier to obtain. But, I guess for most, if you’ve done the rep grind once you’ve done it enough. (I’ve done it two and a half times, I should get an achievement! Lol)
- Haris Pilton now sells a new 24-slot bag! She has stubbornly decided to remain in Shattrath City, so those interested should seek her out there.
- Hatchlings: Leaping, Darting, Razormaw, and Ravasaur Hatchlings no longer drop from their associated rare creatures. Instead, there are now rare nests that spawn which contain these hatchlings. For example, the Leaping Hatchling can now be found in Takk’s Nest rather than as a drop from Takk the Leaper.
- Sceptor of Celebras: Since this item is no longer needed as a key, Celebras will no longer give one out to a player who loses it. The item can now be sold or disenchanted as normal.